January 15, 2012
So I’m late in posting this. “Things” have been getting in the way.
We did brew on the 7th which turned out to be an absolutely perfect day for brewing. Weather cooperated (aside form a few sprinkles in the morning) and the temps were fantastic.
We started with the Irish Red Ale and hit all of our numbers, Temp, Gravity and Volume. The boil went great and everything looks like this is going to turn out to be an excellent beer.
We also took the opportunity to replace one of the faucets on the Keezer with a new Perlick 525SS. It pours beautifully, especially with an excellent batch of Texas Sweat on tap.
The second beer (the SIPA) didn’t go quite as well. We hit our gravity and volume numbers no problem (we’re getting pretty good at this). However, (you knew there had to be a hitch) we didn’t hit the mash temps we were aiming for. It’ll probably come out too dry and thin but we’ll see what happens.
We still need to work on not taking through the day, maybe a handy dandy log sheet would make this easier.